Sunday, August 20, 2006

Amarillo, TX. Last night I was trying to get rid of the writing on the screen of my digital camera so I could show the pictures to Aunt Opal this morning. The wrong button got pushed, and all the pictures of this weekend were erased. Damn!

Before I erased the pictures, we drove by house mom and dad built 50 years ago. Dad was only 23, got the money to finance the purchase of the lot and the construction thru buying a new car (they were hard to come by right after WWII) and then reselling it for a big profit. He was making pretty good money as a traveling salesman. but once they were in the house, he wanted to be home more. I was 8 months old, and when he'd get back after being gone all week I'd changed too much, mom told me and Randy last night.

So they moved to Oklahoma City where mom's cousin Georgette's husband Curley Smith helped dad getting a job with Brown & Biegelo, the company that sells advertising calendars. Dad made some big sales right away, but his supervisor made him made, so he quit and moved back to Amarillo to start his own business in Amarillo. It didn't do very well.

So visiting Aunt Lilian & Uncle Jerry in Colorado, he found the grocery stores in Colorado didn't have the kind of merchandise he was selling in Texas. He sat in front of a store, prayed, and decided to come to Colorado. Mom didn't want to do it, he persuaded her by promising to stay only 5 years. The business was a success and they never went back.

Another example of failure breeding success. If his business in Texas did better, he would have never come to Colorado. Lesson: keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!