Monday, August 21, 2006

Are you a conservative or a liberal?
Here is a 5 minute quiz:
http://madrabbit.net/webrabbit/quizshow.html

Do you think it is helpful to think of yourself
as a liberal or conservative?

Seems to me we have a need for both points of
view in our system of government, and that right
action is determined through honest debate between
the two points of view.

The problem with labeling is that it leads to alienation,
just listening to people who agree with us, and
demonization of people with other viewpoints. The
result is poor government.

It also leads to poor communications. One Denver talkshow
host is always saying, "I want to know where you stand
(are you a liberal or conservative) before I hear what you
say," or words to that effect. Much better was Plato's
thought, "It matters not who says the words, but whether they
are true or not."

I scored a 36, which makes me more conservative than
Bob Dole according to the quiz. But many of my friends
see me as a liberal because of my criticism of what I
call "Borg" (from Star Trek, the humans who have become
machines) especially in big government, big business, and
big religion.

I think this kind of labeling is worse than useless, it is
destroying our grassroots republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!