Friday, May 04, 2007


JOHN WREN NEWS & COMMENTARY
Vol. I Number 1
May 4, 2007

In this issue:
Goodbye Wally Schirra.
Big Changes with IDEA Cafe.
Next Franklin Circles forming.
Socrates Cafe next week.
CoCaCoP-- It's back! Reregister.
New Denver Republican Meetup.

Walter "Wally" Schirra Jr.died Thursday at the age of 84. He was the was the only astronaut to fly in the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. Schirra, far left, the other Mercury Seven astronauts and an operations worker, in white, stand in a NASA control center at Cape Canaveral, Fla., on Sept. 22, 1960. At the time of the photo, I was an 8th grader at the new Thomas Jefferson High School here in Denver. In about 1976 I met him at a party here in Denver.

The original astronauts were great heroes, especially to those of us who grew up with them. I had the good fortune to meet 2 of them personally, Wally and Jack Swigert who became an astronaut in April, 1966 and was a member of Apollo 13.

CoCaCoP-- We're back!
The Colorado Caucus Community of Practice is reforming after being dormant for over a year. Our purpose is to help people learn about our wonderful Colorado neighborhood caucus-assembly system for nominating to the primary ballot. The caucus is the first step in becoming a delegate to the national conventions that we'll be having in 2008, one right here in Denver. At our next meeting we'll hear a report from a student who has done research on our Colorado primary system. See the video "How would Ben Franklin Vote?" with Dennis Gallagher and RSVP at http://cocacop.meetup.com/

Big Changes at IDEA Cafe
I've been leading IDEA Cafe meetings since 1996 or so. We met for years at the Koelbel Library in Littleton, and most recently at Panera Bread at 13th & Grant near the State Capitol here in Denver. At each meeting we invite people to share their startup experience and we brainstorm. Meetings are free and open to everyone who is starting something new, a project, campaign, business, or career. We became a meetup.com group a couple of years ago, and we now meet weekly. We are making some big changes in the meeting format. If you'd be willing to share your startup experience, or if you want a boost as you get started, join us! We just ask that you bring your brain for the brainstorming! For more information see http://ideacafe.meetup.com/1. RSVP "No" if you want to get an invitation to next weeks meeting with when & where we will be meeting.

Denver Franklin Circle Now Forming
Have you seen the Ben Franklin exhibit that is here in Denver until May 20? Don't miss it! It features Ben's original Franklin Circle, what he called The Junto. I've been forming groups of people with similar learning objectives since 1995 here in Denver, let me know if you'd like more information about the groups I'm now forming. One will focus on the arts, especially music and the theatre, and the other on entrepreneurship and small business. For the details, email me at JohnSWren@aol.com.

Socrates Cafe Next Thursday
Chris Phillips who wrote the book Socrates Cafe which inspired the start of the first group in Denver asked me to stand up recently at the talk he gave at Tattered Cover LoDo recently. (The only media coverage of the event was the student paper at Regis University.) The next meeting of our monthly group is next Thursday, RSVP at http://socratescafe.meetup.com/82, or join the group that meets each Friday, 6 p.m. at Panera Bread, 13th & Broadway here in Denver, no RSVP required.

The New Denver Republican Meetup
Some of us are making an effort to revive the GOP in Denver, even Democrats tell me it's bad for our Democratic-Republic to have one party rule like we now have in Denver. If you'd like to help, join us next Monday at the University of Denver Alumni House. RSVP "No" if you'd like an invitation to future meetings. http://republican.meetup.com/511.

Other News

I wish I'd read Mark DeMoss's Little Red Book of Wisdom years ago, it's great! One of Mark's suggestions is to read a chapter of Proverbs each morning. He and I have traded emails a couple of times, I hope to get him here to Denver as a speaker soon. (Let me know if you'd be interested in being one of the sponsors, sponsorship will include a personal meeting with Mark at a small luncheon or a reception after his talk.)

Thanks to my good friend Nathan Pollock who recently gave a talk to the Denver South Optimist Club on his adventures in medicine and philosophy. It was by far the best talk we've heard all year, and we've had some great ones!

I was recently elected to the Board of the Denver Lions Club.

We are looking for my replacement as manager of 1311 York Street Club. Email me if you'd like more information at JohnSWren@aol.com

I'm thinking of bundling all my learning groups, seminars, and online publications under the umbrella of Wren University. What do you think of the idea? Would it be too pretentious to put "College President" on my resume and business card?

Mary and I are experimenting with an online publication we are calling Denver When & Where. Please let us know if you have events we could help you promote.

Leaving York Street will give me more time for my consulting practice. I do business analysis, management services work, and training.

How may I help you?

de gustibus non est disputandum"
In matters of taste there is no disputing."
John S. Wren, MBA+
Grassroots Educator & Business Consultant.
Inspired action since 1979.
960 Grant Street, #727
Denver, CO 80203
(303)861-1447

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!