Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

Dick Wadhams and Pat Waak on Jay Leno?
See my email to the Tonight Show below.

From Garriosn Keillor’s The Writer’s Almanac:

It was on this day in 1897 that the author Stephen Crane (books by this author) (1871) survived the sinking of a boat headed for Cuba and he wrote about the experience in his short story "The Open Boat" (1898), which was one of the first works of fiction based on actual reportage.

It's the birthday of Isaac Asimov, (books by this author) born in Petrovichi, Russia (1920), who started a book whenever he wanted to learn about a topic that he didn't fully understand, and so he published books about outer space, nuclear physics, organic chemistry, history, astronomy, Greek mythology, and religion.

It's the birthday of war novelist Leonard B. Scott, (books by this author) born in Bremerhaven, Germany (1948), who was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star in Vietnam. He was working a desk job at the Pentagon in Washington in the early '80s, when he heard the opening ceremonies of the Vietnam Memorial on the Mall, and said, "The dam just broke. Seeing my old comrades squelched my fears of attempting to write; I had to tell our story of the war and how it really was." His books include Charlie Mike (1985), The Last Run (1987), and The Hill (1989).
It's the birthday of writer William Scott, (books by this author) born in Janesville, Wisconsin (1914) author of The Plowhand (1957), Red Sunrise (1958), and the poetry collection On My Knees in the Field (1977), who wrote late at night after working all day on his small, 80-acre farm in southern Wisconsin.

Have a book you’d like to publish? Consider the exploding new technique of on-demand publishing. Unlike vanity publishing, in which aspiring authors pay to have their books run on traditional presses, on-demand publishing doesn't have to cost writers a cent.

What will the writer's union do if Leno's ratings are higher tonight and in the weeks ahead?

Jay Leno and David Letterman return to TV tonight, Leno without writers and the normal celebrity guests; tonight Leno's guest will be GOP Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, Letterman's will be Robin Williams.

I just sent this email to the Jay Leno show:

"I'm posting to my blog www.JohnWren.com this morning the following suggestion along with my comment, "what will the writer's union do if Jay Leno gets higher ratings tonight and in the weeks ahead. Leno has a great opportunity to make his show "grassroots" TV, which I think would have much more appeal to more views that the celebrity small talk that is the normal fare.

Here are my guest suggestions:

Colorado has a caucus similar to Iowa's February 5. I suggest you invite the chairs of our state GOP and Dems, there was a good article about them and the February 5 caucus recently in the Rocky Mountain News http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/29/states-votes-gaining-respect/

I recently left the Denver GOP and became a Democrat, both the state chairs know me, and I'd be willing to be on the show if you can't find a Democrat who will cross the picket line.

Also, Chris Lowell does a fantastic character impersonation of Ben Franklin, who's 301st birthday will be January 17. More about him at www.benfranklinlive.com He just got back from Paris, France where he was hired for a celebration of an historical event that involved Franklin.

Finally, why don't you have something you could call "Hometown Talent Search" in major cities across the US. Winners could appear on your show each night. If you'd like my help, please email me at JohnSWren@aol.com or call me at (303)861-1447.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!