Wednesday, July 06, 2016

No wonder he didn't call...

What a shock, I just wrote. John Andrews Facebook post just informed me his good friend Bill Armstrong had just died with a link to this CCU website http://www.ccu.edu/billarmstrong/

I'd tried to contact Bill a couple of times in the last couple of days, haven't seen him for at least a couple of years. The CCU site asks for memories about Bill, I'd barely started when cut off by the 1000 character limit...

So, continuing on...

The very first time I ever talked with Bill was in 1975 or so, he called me first thing in the morning after I was elected state chair of College Republicans, which was not a difficult job to get back in the Watergate years of the GOP.

He helped us get the national CR convention in Denver the following summer, that's when Dick Wadhams met CR national chair Karl Rove. I'm pretty sure Bill had a lot to do with me being in a TV special called, believe it or not, "Republicans are People, Too."  I guess they'd call it today "Republican Lives Matter."

Bill as a reference helped me get a job as Assistant-to-the-President with Outdoor Sports, which gave me the opportunity to take George Bush Sr. to the airport when he was RNC chair, to meet Byron White, Howard Baker, etc. etc.

Bill had always gotten back with me quickly until this last time. Years ago, the last time I saw Bill he had invited me to a talk he gave at the Brown Palace. I'd been critical of something or other to do with the way we saw the financial crisis, I wish now I'd tried just a little harder to connect with him.

Thanks for all the good memories Bill. May God bless and comfort you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!