Thursday, June 01, 2017

Are you happy?


A friend I'd known for decades introduced me to George, an old guy who was over weight, smoked constantly while he was on oxygen, and who I'd noticed before at a club my friend and I both belonged to and where George was sort of the towel boy.

I'd noticed George because despite his only working part-time at minimum wage, some big health problems, he was always telling stories and laughing at his own jokes. On my own, I would have never asked him for help. But my friend told me George had helped him, and George could maybe help me. I was desperate enough to do almost anything.

My friend left us alone. After telling George my bedevilments he said something that made me mad until I suddenly could see it was true, "Your life is exactly like you want it and you've worked damn hard to get it that way." In other words, George was telling me in so many words, you don't want to be happy.

When I try to say this to people who want my help, they almost always get angry and storm off. But George had a very unique way of saying it with a sparkle in his eye that made me want to laugh. It was also clear that George wanted to help me. So I kept listening.

"You are selfish, dishonest and afraid. You are restless, irritable and discontented. We can talk about the homosexual tendencies later." With this I did laugh out loud, looking at his big grin.

"I was just like that," George said. "I was deliberately manufacturing my own misery. I'm not now. I'm happy, joyous, and free. Yes, I still have problems from time to time. Some days are better than others, but compared to then I'm happy. Do you want to be happy, joyous and free?"

I just stood like the fool that I was, staring at him. It was a hard question. He got firm, the smile went away. "Well do you? If you don't want to be happy, don't let the door hit you on the but on the way out." I told him yes. We made an appointment to meet the next morning.

I'm asking you that same question right now.

Do you want to be happy, joyous, and free? If so, mark your calendar for 10 a.m. tomorrow morning Mountain Daylight Time (noon Eastern) and let's meet back here on www.JohnWren.com This tread will continue, and I'll share more with you about what George shared with me that saved my life.

Please, no online debate. If this makes you angry, if you disagree, make a short comment and link to your URL if you want, but don't fight it out here, ok? If you have similar experience and have positive comments, still keep it on the short side, and limit yourself to no more that two posts here per day, ok?

Finally, if you are desperate and think you are in danger of harming yourself or someone else call 911 and get help immediately.

I hope to see you back here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!