Thursday, January 11, 2018

Pro-life Rally, Women's March, and What Divides Us.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

My last post here, one post back, was about my big idea with the Colorado Caucus. It produced no comments. There were readers, or at least visitors to the page. But no comments. Maybe everyone was just bowled over, awe struck with the brilliance of my simple idea.


Those too lazy to go back ask, "what was the idea?" The 10,000 foot version: my big idea is to franchise the Colorado Caucus.

My guess is that if Kent Thirsty or any one of the many rich politicians thought they could own the grassroots they would start taking better care of it. How would that work? More Monday. That is, more Monday if I get at least a couple of comments on my last post or here about this Big Idea.  Show me I'm not just digital-shouting into the void.

Were you invited? My invitation to Jared Polis' campaign headquarters opening was delivered directly to me this morning, so I asked him a question by return email: does he plan on going through the Colorado Caucus system to get on that ballot? I think the first Democrat and the first Republican to lock arms in doing just that it would dramatically strengthen what right now is a dying institution.

Are you going? Saturday morning mass at 11:30 a.m. at the Cathedral, then 1:00 p.m. a rally for life on the west steps of the Capitol. I'll ask Rep. Polis if he will be there.

The fact is there is no #MeToo for the unborn child. So people do what they can. For me it will be to be there with everyone else going against the leadership of wonderful Pope Francis, who has tried to wave us off doing these demonstrations. He says, "why don't you just go out and really help someone?"

Some Catholic leaders think Democrats for Life is funded by someone who is not at all Pro-Life, but likes to keep the issue on the table in the most public way possible because he thinks that hurts Republicans.

Franchise or not, we need to get neighbors talking to each other again. Neighborhoods are an endangered species. Pro-Life rallies and Women's marches just further divide us.

I'd like to hear from anyone who lives right now is a neighborhood where the neighbors are friends, get together on a regular basis. As I write this realize, anyone in a healthy neighborhood is probably out taking a walk or talking over the fence with a neighbor, won't be reading this.

More about this next Monday. Maybe.

In the mean time, Socrates Cafe this Friday, 1-12, 6 p.m. at LoDo Panera, 16th & Market and Saturday, 6:30 p.m. at University of Denver, more info and optional rsvp at www.Meetup.com/Socrates-Cafe-Society

Have a good weekend. If you want to.

“I’m not a member of any organized political party. I’m a Democrat.” Will Rogers
John Wren www.JohnWren.com is a long-time community activist. He has created front page news throughout his life, starting
when he was a Senior at Thomas Jefferson High School and his picture was on the front page of the Rocky Mountain News
and featured in the Denver Post. When he was in graduate school at the University of Denver he helped Karl Rove give
College Republican workshops that were so effective they were called “dirty tricks” in the Washington Post. Resently he
became a Democrat. again, sort of like getting married again to the same woman, for the third time.
"Inspired by an opinion article on hierarchy in the Wall Street Journal, combined with thinking about the baptism of Jesus
I have decided to try a daily newspaper column one more time. We’ll see. Tears come to my eyes as I write the above and hear my friend Gene Amole say,'“Good luck with it pal. I'll remind you of the one piece of advice I gave you, be sure to sit by a Catholic girl if you can, they are always good spellers.' Gene remembers sitting in the newsroom, I'm at my kitchen table. Maybe I can bring one home with me." John Wren (720)495-4949

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!