Sunday, February 03, 2019

Where were you in 1992?

Reading about Julia Cameron in today's New York Times Style Section  it's worth reading. Her Artist's Way first printing sold out the first day when it was published in 1992, makes me think back to what I was doing then, and why I instantly disliked her and the book she rode in on.

In 1992 I was living with Fr. David Morgan's Center for Christ Centered Ministries with a room mate who eventually was killed bicycling through France. For years I'd held what came to be called the IDEA Association, and I intended to hold it there.

The IDEA Association grew out of a TV and radio show I had back then which I started just after Janet left me with 4 kids and a note
giving me the house and half of the substantial amount of cash we then had in the bank. When I showed the note to a lawyer friend of mine he said,  "Do you know how much some men would give for a note like this?" and he told me I could easily file for divorce immediately and it would be granted.

When I came home that day from work at Sentinal Newspapers where I was Director of Marketing and Sales Manager with a very generous compensation plan, I expected to share some great news with Janet and we would celebrate.

I'd just sold all of the back pages of the 28 or so community newsapers we then published in metro-Denver for Cowles Media, who's flagships were the Minneapolis Star Tribune. I was hired and reported directly to Jay Cowles, grandson of the founder.

Instead I found my 4 kids, ranging from 12th grade to pre-school sitting around the kitchen table. They handed me the note from Janet. Imagine my surprise.

Surprise and delight. Followed by remorse and dispare when it became clear to me that although our marrage was difficult with both of us working full time, my earnings at Sentinel Newspapers would allow Janet to quit her job as a para-legal and return to being a full time mom.

So I trashed the note and began the campaign to reconcile that had worked before in a similar situation after I'd been inspired by the movie "Gandi." It didn't work this time.

Janet came by after I'd supervised the movers loading, the house was empty, and we stood in the newly vacant garage, we hugged, we both cried, and I said "Jokes over" and we laughed. I walked her down the drive way and we both saw the gold box that held letters that were sent me after me and the TJ football team and Mike Willet the baseball coach became front page news.

I started to untie the plastic bag that held the box as Janet drove away. Suddenly the car went into reverse and she and our pre-schooler got out of the car to furiously take the entire bag away from me.

Sentinel Newspapers decided to pull out of Denver and I was one of the first casualties. I'd had great jobs before that, but depressed and disillusioned I couldn't stand the thought of another soul-crushing corporate job.

Instead I started John Wren's TV Journal, published Daring Mighty Things-- The Simplest Way to Start Your First (or Next) New Business, and I had the first Internet business presence in Denver,  Denver Freenet hosted by the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center for my show and consulting practice and for my then client Pester & Company CPAs.

So why did I hate Julia and her "Artist's Way"? Looking back now I can see it was because she was competition.

That was a mistake. One of many. But I've tried to learn from each mistake. I now share what I've learned via the Small Business Chamber of Commerce, Inc, our free small groups, and each morning Monday thru Friday on the Startup Show. If you haven't already, please join us right now, it's free and fast, just "Visit Group" on www.Facebook.com/Small.Business.Chamber and post an introduction of yourself and your business.

Questions? Call me, (303)861-1447

This life is short, let's start now! www.SmallBizChamber.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!