Socrates Cafe Online, each Tue, Fri, Sat, 1st. Sun, 6:30 pm Denver MDT (303)861-1447 Socrates Cafe Dialogue Groups: Watch1 Lead1 Start1. Meeting ID and password emailed to members 30 minutes before each meeting. For free membership write JohnScottWren@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Join us? I'm forming a new Franklin Circle that will meet monthly for people new to Colorado or new to Colorado politics who want to learn more about how to serve in public office or help other good people get elected. Our focus will be the 2012 Colorado Caucuses. For more see: http://www.COCaucus.org

Want to know why I'm enthused about our Colorado Caucuses? I just received this email from a new friend:

John, I met you in line at the democratic caucus training in Lakewood on Saturday.  I had said I would report back how our meeting went. 

I am a New Englander who grew up with the idea of town meetings. When I first registered to vote, I took great pride in declaring myself an Independent I have only slowly become involved.  It has progressed to my attending training and directing our precinct meeting. 

The caucuses I previously attended were either so small that it was a visit or so large it was almost chaos.  Last night was just about right, a very positive experience.  Our precinct was attended by 14 folks, 7 men and 7 women.  Unfortunately we didn't see many very young faces--only a few younger than 50. 

Because I had never led one of these conversations before, I had my watch with its sweep hand ready to monitor how long people spoke for their candidate.  After we moved to a quieter spot in the cafeteria and sat in a circle, the conversation took on its own life.  It required no leader. 

Everyone was attentive and involved, listening and speaking.  I feel comfortable that people felt heard and respected.  We did keep the time in mind and were able to vote after speaking our minds and hearts.  We successfully elected 2 delegates from our precinct, one for Michael Bennett and one for Andrew Romanoff.  Our group had one uncommitted which helped to effectively direct the conversation.  Our group made seven resolutions for consideration to the party platform. 

It was good to see folks still talking issues with one another after our precinct business was done.  I do think that the caucus was productive and reflective of the town meetings which still occur in the many smaller towns in New England

I can see ways of making improvements to the meetings----better environment, better organization, etc., but I don't think we could improve on the discussion and business accomplished in such a short time.  I look forward to attending and participating next time.

Thanks, John,
I hope this adds to your story.
Elaine Branjord
Evergreen, CO  

What was your experience with the Colorado Caucuses? Share them with us under "Discussions" on the Facebook group "I'm a fan of the Colorado Caucuses." To see what the media is saying about Colorado Caucuses see the Facebook page "Colorado Caucuses News". Links to both at http://www.COCaucus.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!