Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Management Science

I remember the late 60s and early 70s when there was talk of "management science" sparked by Fredrick Taylor and his concept of the "one best way."

We've learned that is just not how humans do well.

So why is it that those involved in business startup seem to be thinking of the one best way to start a business? Understandable for the government to think that way with the Small Business Administration.

But why others? Seems like everyone from university programs on entrepreneurship to local chamber of commerce programs all talk about doing market research, writing a convincing business plan, finding investors, although almost no small business actually gets off the ground using those tools.

That's why I say I'm a recovering MBA, much of what I learned in graduate business school has had to be overcome to be helpful to people who want to start something new.

Want to talk with me about this? Post a comment here, watch The Startup Show Friday mornings, or when you are in Denver let's get together at the Denver IDEA Cafe Praxis. For more see http://www.SmallBizChamber.org 

If you did formal market research and formal planning before your first sale, I'd very much like to talk with you. I've been talking with people who have started successful businesses for over 20 years, you'll be the first I've met that did it that SBA-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!