Socrates Cafe Online, each Tue, Fri, Sat, 1st. Sun, 6:30 pm Denver MDT (303)861-1447 Socrates Cafe Dialogue Groups: Watch1 Lead1 Start1. Meeting ID and password emailed to members 30 minutes before each meeting. For free membership write JohnScottWren@gmail.com.

Monday, August 13, 2007

In response to a copy of an email about where to find good listings for jobs from one IDEA Cafe attendee to another who is looking for a new job, I just sent this:

My experience is that most good jobs don't get listed.

I've found great jobs this way:

1. Make a list of the 10 or 15 business people who know your skills & are supportive.

2. Call and say, "I'm looking for a new challenge where I can be helpful using my skills and make a real contribution. Who do you know who might want to hire me?" Let them give you names & numbers, then say, "who else do you know who I should call?"

3. Call whoever is suggested say, (name of your friend) suggested I call you, because (name of your friend) thought I could help you, and if it sounds like I could help you, I'd like to set a time when we could meet. What kind of help do you want right now? (Listen) It sounds like I could help you, and that it would very possibly be a good opportunity for me. Do you want to get together this afternoon, or would tomorrow morning be better?

4. Meet with them. Get an offer. Then decide whether or not to take it.
No one has ever told me this does not work for them.

This works quick.

I got a great job in 3 days using this approach.

Try it, come again to the IDEA Cafe, and tell us about your new job!

If you have any questions, feel free to call me (303)861-1447.
Good luck!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!