Socrates Cafe Online, each Tue, Fri, Sat, 1st. Sun, 6:30 pm Denver MDT (303)861-1447 Socrates Cafe Dialogue Groups: Watch1 Lead1 Start1. Meeting ID and password emailed to members 30 minutes before each meeting. For free membership write JohnScottWren@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

MBA a blessing or a curse?

(Do you agree or disagree? Your comment below is very welcome. John)

In a recent survey, 32% of CEO's interviewed had a positive impression of hiring MBAs, 23% were neutral, and a solid 44% had outright negative views.
Executives said that many business schools “better structured for the Industrial Revolution rather than the Information Age.” 
From today's Wall Street Journal

Getting an MBA (DU'80) certainly helped me get a great job, I was hired as Assistant-to-the-President of an American Stock Exchange company when the Chancellor introduced me to the school trustee who eventually hired me, but what we'd studied didn't really help me do the job once I was at my desk, in many ways it was clear to me the MBA hurt me on that job, even more so when I started working with startup businesses. For years I've called my self a recovering MBA, much of what I'd been taught in graduate business school had to be overcome to actually help someone who is trying to turn their idea into a business.

The Wall Street Journal article above seems to advocate for updating the curriculum at business schools, but is that really the problem?

nGram analysis (% word or term of all words indexed by Google) would indicate there has been a dramatic grow of interest in MBAs since the degree was first awarded at Harvard in 1912:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!