Monday, April 17, 2023

From a meeting this morning, what I would have shared:

  1. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  2. "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." - Mark Twain
  3. "Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision." - Winston Churchill
  4. “We are each just about as happy as we make up our mind to be.” Pres. Lincoln


Thoughts From A 12-Step Meeting--1st of 90 in 90. 

By John Scott Wren (303)861-1447 with a little help from my friends and ChatGPT


Waking up every morning without my wife then of 23 years has been a struggle for me most days since I came home January 9, 1990 to celebrate a big sale that would have enabled her to quit working outside our home. Fear of being left behind, conscious or unconscious, has always been a constant companion. However, by recognizing my fears and turning to a higher power, I have learned to live better with them.

I was fortunate enough to have found help from men in my support group who had gone through similar experiences. Steve suggested I watch my thoughts, and I was amazed at how often negative thoughts triggered my fear. Big George taught me that inside every bully is a coward trying to get out, and Big Frank taught me that we are never in so much danger as when we pronounce wellness upon ourselves. I learned that it's important to acknowledge our fears and work through them, rather than pretending they don't exist.

In the book called "Alcoholics Anonymous," that is the foundation for what many think are the strongest 12-step programs, fear is described as a poison that can hold us back in life. The “big book” teaches us that faith is a great antidote to fear. We may not fully understand or be able to define a higher power, but by expressing a willingness to believe in it, we can start to see results. The book also encourages us to ask for help in overcoming our fears and to direct our attention towards what a higher power would have us be.

For more information about the 12-steps, I encourage readers to contact Fr. Richard Rohr in Albuquerque, New Mexico, or to explore the Wikipedia article "12-Step Programs" for additional resources. There are many avenues for support and guidance in overcoming fear.

Thanks, ChatGPT, for your help getting my thoughts this morning down on paper after a great online meeting with my friends. I'd tell you which of the dozens of 12-step programs, but then I'd have to kill you. :-)

Your comments and feedback are always welcome. Please feel free to contact me at (303)861-1447 or leave a complete, confidential message in my voicemail box. And, if you're interested in exploring these topics further, I invite you to check out my blog at www.JohnWren.com. Tomorrow: 2 of 90, topic chosen at 12-step meeting I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!