Socrates Cafe Online, each Tue, Fri, Sat, 1st. Sun, 6:30 pm Denver MDT (303)861-1447 Socrates Cafe Dialogue Groups: Watch1 Lead1 Start1. Meeting ID and password emailed to members 30 minutes before each meeting. For free membership write JohnScottWren@gmail.com.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Starting something? Want to start? Or do you want to want to really start? Stay humble.

Online with John Wren. www.JohnWren.com Call (303)861-1447 As I sit here today, I'm reminded of a story my higher power, God as I understand Him, once told me about the importance of humility. I've always appreciated the way my higher power tells stories. He's a great storyteller, and every time I hear a new one, I feel like I learn something new about life. Today's story was no exception. It reminded me of the time Walt Disney told the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, and how that story illustrates the importance of humility. You see, the Sorcerer's Apprentice is a tale about a young apprentice who tries to use his master's magic wand to do his own work, but ends up causing chaos instead. It's a story about the dangers of overconfidence and the importance of respecting authority. But what really struck me about today's story is the irony of successful people often talking about how they achieved their success through humility. It's almost as if they're saying, "I became successful by being humble, but now that I'm successful, I don't need to be humble anymore." That's why I think humility is such an important quality to cultivate, no matter where we are in life. This reminds me of a study I learned about in Psych 101 at Cornell College. The study found that once a person reaches a certain income level, money stops being a motivator. I think that's an important reminder that we shouldn't become too attached to material things, and that we should focus on things that bring us true happiness and fulfillment. And speaking of miracles, today's story also brought to mind the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000. It's a story about how Jesus performed a very real miracle, but then refused to let the people make him king. Instead, he remained humble and focused on his mission. It's important to remember that humility isn't about denying our own worth or achievements. It's about recognizing that we're all part of something larger than ourselves, and that we all have something to learn from one another. That's why I'm grateful for opportunities like the Socrates Cafe, where people can come together to share their perspectives and learn from each other. If you're interested in joining a Socrates Cafe, I encourage you to call (303)861-1447 and leave a message about what you're looking for. And if you're someone who regularly attends a Socrates Cafe, please consider volunteering to help others who are looking for a community like this. Together, we can all learn and grow, and become more humble in the process. Regenerate response ChatGPT Mar 23 Version. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts.

2 comments:

  1. I obviously need help with the digital world. If you'd volunteer to help call me, ok? John (303)861-1447

    ReplyDelete
  2. New story each day on www.Pray-As-You-Go.org sometimes with my reaction here or at an Online Socrates Cafe. Your comment welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!