Thursday, April 12, 2007

It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

Self-Reliance (1841)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/democrac/14.htm

I called into the Peter Boyles show this morning (KHOW AM630 here in Denver.)

The topic at 5 a.m. was Don Imus (fired for racial slur against Rutgers women's basketball team), I wanted to talk about the Denver elections so the screener wouldn't let me through. So I called back, said I wanted to talk about Imus in light of Daniel Bell's book The Cultural Contridictions of Capitolism. What? Imus will know the book and understand I said.

Long talk about the Roman circuses, the decline and fall of all great empires, and what it means when no Denver talk show is focusing on the elections as we all get our ballots in the mail. At the end of the call Peter said, "good call, very well thought out." We'll see if it effects the show in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!