Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mystics storm against ideas and structures that have become entrenched in their societies and cultures when awareness awakesn them to evils their contemporaries are blind to. Anthony de Mello, The Way to Love

This comment to yesterday's post here was made on Facebook:
 My big question is this. Just what is so bad about the USA that we need to make big changes. 

A good friend of mine got so angry with me during a discussion that he pushed me over, out of my chair, and we both fell to the ground. Only a good friend would do such a thing. It was a learning moment for me, and his point will never be forgotten.


One of the strengths of our two party system in the United States is that we regularly engage in full out, open debate. It has been this way from the very start of our country. Only good friends can argue as we do in this country.

This kind of vigorous debate is healthy when it starts with self-reflection, what is called in 12-step programs personal inventory.

So the big question for each of us this morning is: What is so bad that we need to change? Only with that awareness will healthy growth take place.

If this is to continue, it needs to be a conversation. I'd be very interested in your comments on this. Post here, or if you'd rather email your comment to John@JohnWren.com and I'll put it up here tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!