Socrates Cafe Online, each Tue, Fri, Sat, 1st. Sun, 6:30 pm Denver MDT (303)861-1447 Socrates Cafe Dialogue Groups: Watch1 Lead1 Start1. Meeting ID and password emailed to members 30 minutes before each meeting. For free membership write JohnScottWren@gmail.com.

Monday, October 22, 2007

On this day in 1928 Republican presidential nominee Herbert Hoover spoke of the "American system of rugged individualism" in a speech at New York's Madison Square Garden; and in 1968 Apollo 7, with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn Fulton Eisele and R. Walter Cunningham aboard, returned to Earth.

Today is Annette Funicello’s 65th birthday. Years ago I was in love with her. We’d meet nearly every afternoon after school. Maybe those Mickey Mouse Club rendezvous are what helped me see the value of small groups. My brother Jay says my tomb-stone will say, "He never saw a group he didn't like."


Several major research libraries have rebuffed offers from Google and Microsoft to scan their books into computer databases, saying they are put off by restrictions these companies want to place on the new digital collections.

The research libraries, including a large consortium in the Boston area, are instead signing on with the Open Content Alliance, a nonprofit effort aimed at making their materials broadly available.

I just discovered I-neighbors.org a free, public resource where people find their geographic neighborhoods online and form corresponding digital communities. The results of recent research suggest that for some communities a service like I-neighbors.org encourages neighborhood participation, helps people form local social ties, connects people to their local communities and creates neighborhoods that are safer, better informed, more trusting, and better equipped to deal with local issues. I-neighbors supports nearly 5,000 neighborhoods in the United States and Canada. Users of I-neighbors.org have established I-neighborhoods in all 50 states of the United State, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. In Canada there are neighborhoods based in all ten provinces and two territories. The size of I-neighbors communities range from a couple hundred users spread over a few hundred homes in a single geographic community, to one or two users in newly established I-neighborhoods.

I just started an i-Neighborhood for here where I live, the Colburn Apartments.
www.i-neighbors.org/80203/ColburnApartments Hi neighbors! What do you think of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment or question here is very welcome! Or to keep it confidential email me at John@JohnWren.com After you post or send it is very helpful if you then call me at (303)861-1447 to make sure I take a look at your comment here or your email. Thanks!